For me, Metallica is often a hit or miss. Some of their lyrics are really introspective, and other seem not at all relatable. Some of their guitar solos are filled with emotion, some just sound like they're trying to show off.
But Master of Puppets is one of their songs that truly gets all parts right. Every single riff in the song is great (and there are a lot of them), and the chorus is really catchy. The dynamics are great, with a calmer section in the middle and then a perfect build-up to get back into the song. The vocals have the perfect amount of distortion to be expressive. Unlike a lot of modern metal singers, James isn't trying to just make "cool" noises in this song. He is expressing pain through the distortion, and he does it really well.
The lyrics are obviously about addiction, but they're written in a special way, so I can relate really well to them even though I've never suffered from addiction. I think the entire composition of the song really helps put you in the shoes of someone who is suffering. Additionally, the lyrics can be applied to a bunch of other situations too, such as unhealthy relationships, which I am more familiar with.
There really isn't a single bad part of this song. Usually I would be against the style of the fast guitar solo in this song, but here it really fits. Kirk not only shreds, but he also finds the notes that actually matter and bring emotion. That is quite rare for this type of playing style. All in all, it's just an incredible song that easily gets a 10/10.
No comments:
Post a Comment