Saturday, May 23, 2026

Sylvan - Shine (9/10)

I often don't like songs that just tell some story in the lyrics, cause I often find them very unrelateable. But this one is just different. The lyrics are very emotional, and the expression in the vocals really adds to that. I also love how different Sylvan is from other progressive rock bands. They are progressive in the sense that their sound design and song structures are often different from the norm, not that they just go all out with odd time signatures. And that's exactly the type of progressive that I like.

This song in particular has quite a simple song structure, which is probably good since it makes it more digestible for non-prog listeners. And I love the instrumentation. The guitar + piano in the intro are really beautiful and for some reason make me think back to when I was a child, which is very fitting for this song. And the addition of strings just makes it so much more beautiful, even though they aren't very high in the mix.

Now, I have to mention that there are two versions of this song. The album version has a hard rock section in the middle, which I like, and even that part is very emotional. It also has a longer guitar solo at the end, but unfortunately it cuts of when the next song is supposed to start, so it doesn't really fit well in a playlist. The single version on the other hand doesn't have the cut at the end, but instead it fades out during the guitar solo, which I'm also not entirely fond of. And it also doesn't have the rock section, so it gets a bit more boring and simple. Still a great song though.

No comments:

Post a Comment