Tuesday, January 6, 2026

Alter Bridge - Blackbird (9/10)

 Although this song has quite a basic structure, the dynamics and emotion are just incredible, especially with the various guitar sounds and amazing vocals. There are very few singers that have such control over the dynamics of their voice, going between a very fragile airy sound, almost crying and powerful belting in the span of the song.

The lyrics are also really beautiful. I often hear artists either being too direct with their lyrics or cover them with metaphors to the point where it sounds like a fantasy story. But in this song, Alter Bridge just find that perfect balance with beautiful metaphors while still making the meaning clear. It's one of the few songs that has made me cry multiple times.

The only detail that makes me deduct a point is the guitar solo. And I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but I think the guitar solo is a bit too flashy for this type of song. I personally feel stronger emotions from the type of solo that for example Brian May does, where it can get into the shredding territory, especially for the sake of dynamics, but at the same time it's very thought out and controlled. So don't get me wrong, the guitar solo in this song is great, but since I personally think it could be better, I can't give the song the highest possible score.

I would recommend this song to people who like lots of dynamics and really emotional singing and lyrics. Although the sound is way different, I would probably recommend this to people who like Queen, just because of the dynamics. I would also recommend it to people who like Metallica's more emotional songs, and I think it's worth a listen for fans of Pain of Salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment